[Notification for MERS Situation]
Advised Preventive and Corrective Measures for Safe Travel in Korea
■ Overview of MERS and Symptoms
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is an illness caused by a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) called Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV). *MERS have been linked to countries in and near the Arabian Peninsula.
* Major symptoms
Fever or hyperthermia
Shortness of breath
■ Prevention of Infection
– Avoid heavy crowds and places with dense population. Wear a surgical mask if necessary.
– Avoid touching patients with respiratory disease or relating symptoms.
– Keep hands clean, brush your teeth regularly and maintain good hygiene.
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth before washing your hands.
– Cover your nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing.
■ MERS Hotline for Tourists
▶1330 Korea Travel Hotline
– Language assistance (English, Chinese, Japanese) / 24-hours (open all year round)
– Suspected cases or inquiries of significant cases will be answered by the staffs and guided to hospital with foreign language services